Wednesday 26 July 2017

Judas the betrayer episode 17

...When the image of Vincent's bedroom flashed into my head. I jerked at the thought and mistakenly knocked a bottle of fragrance to the tiled floor. The loud crash attracted the attention of
the other party in the room. "Babe, are you okay?" Nelly asked. "Yeah, I'm fine. It's nothing." I ran both hands over my head.
The bride and chief were set before half past nine
o'clock. We waited patiently for the car to arrive that would take us to church, just a fifteen minute drive from the hotel. We hadn't spoken much since the last
conversation. I didn't know what to feel towards Nelly
or what Nelly was feeling towards me. I didn't care so much either, I was in the middle of nowhere and Nelly was part of the solution even though she had no idea. Just as we were about to leave after the car had arrived, I asked everyone else to excuse us for a little
friendly chat which they obliged. Nelly gave me that knowing stare, wondering what else I'd come up with. "Of course you know I didn't buy that sex maniac lunatic thing. I really want to know and feel I have the right to know. So are you now ready to speak?" Nelly shook her head in total disbelief. "Not again. I
refuse to be drawn into this again. We must leave
now." "If you don't tell me right now I'd call Paul and
tell him anything that comes to mind and I swear I'll make it damn bloody." I warned sternly.
She retreated from the door and came close to me, close enough I could feel her breath. She wasn't​
derided at all as her breath was steady. But then she
spoke in a cold, still voice.
"So tell me girlfriend, why are you doing this? What is
it you have refused to tell me? You were supposed to be my chief bride's maid, but here you are playing the witch of Ooz. What exactly do you want?" "The truth." I replied coldly. She nodded slowly and pulsed her lips. She then opened her purse and took out her phone which she forced into my hand and ordered. "Make the damn call. I saved his I-D as P." I was shocked by her action. With the phone still in my hand, she turned towards the door and slammed it hard behind her. Frozen at that spot, I knew it was game over. She'd never get to talk to me, ever. The grand piano hummed from a distance as we arrived the decorated premises of the Christianity Church. Beautiful gowns and suits, foreign and local, littered the whole place with everyone feeling important. Paul's BMW arrived accompanied by
some other vehicles that formed a convoy, with both indicator lights of each vehicle blinking. I felt like we were receiving the president. I knew what I was expecting to see but not how classy it would come. The oil men had arrived with oil palms and wheels. The bridal train was a crop of charming beauties,
most of which were regular campus girls hired for the day and hoping to make a catch or two from the oil guys. Their long baby pink gowns with slight touches of reddish pink and white Shawls to cover their shoulders until the reception time. To say these ladies were beautiful was to say the
least about them. But then, I had my focus on the gentlemen alighting from the convoy of beautiful luxurious vehicles. "So you never told me Charles was the Best Man, how could you?" I leaned forward and whispered into Nelly's ear.
"I think something went wrong. He wasn't​ supposed to be. You saw Williams, he was supposed to be the Best
Man." I swore under my breath and maintained a cordial expression, somewhat deadpan. From then on, the wedding was more of a torment, a day of torture, just emotional dilemma. I felt so ashamed of myself. I
had enjoyed the kiss initially and even dreamt about it but now, I hated Charles for trying to take the place of my Vincent. He was far cuter and better than all the oil boys put together, I mean my Vincent. That thought
gave me all the strength and energy required to scale this stream full of hungry crocodiles in my own mind. We processed and I found myself sitting side by side with my now arch enemy. He kept making eye contact with me as he never ceased to turn my way. In return, I'd look away to avoid incessant glances.
Immediately after the wedding we headed for the reception. Thankfully, the wedding was intended not to consume too much time. When it was time to
dance, I disappeared through the back as I noticed Charles was looking for me. How could I have known I'd never escape him? As soon as the reception was over, or rather my part of the bargain, as I wasn't interested​ in the post
wedding party, I retreated to the hotel room to pick up my belongings and leave. I was really done with putting up with Nelly's fortunes. I wanted to be gone from her and far away as much as I could. I picked the things I owned and started to leave. As
soon as I stepped into the hallway that led to the
elevators, he grunted from behind me and startled
me. "Sorry I didn't mean to startle you." He apologised
sincerely. "Well, always find a better way to announce your presence." I retorted. "Maybe next time I'd bring along a praise singer. All hail King Charles." "It's​ not funny," I rebuffed him sternly. "Oh, okay. So why are you leaving so soon. I thought
you'd stay back for the party tonight. You don't wanna miss it, do you?"
"I'm sorry, but I have a flight to catch." I started
leaving but he trailed behind me. "But why in such a hurry. At least you can still make the trip tomorrow morning. Today is Saturday, and tomorrow is Sunday." I didn't reply him and walked through the gaping elevator doors. He joined me. "Okay fine, I just wanted to apologise for last night. I lost a very impulsive battle." "How am I supposed to be concerned with what you
want?" I was deliberately being annoying. "Okay fine, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I thought I could use tonight to make up for it." He said with both palms joined together like a kid praying in the kindergarten.
I didn't utter a word until the elevator came to a halt and the doors divided again to let us out. "You know what?" I eventually said to him, "I'm good and fine. At least you can see for yourself. Good bye
lover boy." I didn't look back again until the cab I had chattered drove me off the hotel premises.
On my way to the airport, a text message arrived and
Vincent's ID. I smiled to myself and opened to read. "Nomolusa, Oh sorry, Nomsa my cute Nomsa. Hope you're on your way already? I don't want you to miss that flight. Lots of surprises await you, it's all red red good night! I was smiling hard when I finished reading and
enjoyed the splattering rain against the window of the cab. It had started raining. Looking out the window, feeling the cold, hugging myself and hoping it would all be over in another 2 hours time maxi. I wouldn't want to miss red red night for any boring wedding party.
Indeed, Vincent had a huge surprise waiting for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment