Friday 7 June 2019

Songs of sorrow (emotional)

There are no songs.” Toni said as she turned off the stereo as she prepared to sleep again. She had her breakfast and took the first nap. Lunch was over now and another nap was due to follow. She was not sleepy and so she decided to occupy herself till sleep came.
She pulled a novel from underneath the pillow and started to read. No sooner had she started than her phone rang. It could only be one person…Nora. She didn’t understand why her family still cared for her like when she was five. She was twenty-four.
“Hey, sis.”
Toni relaxed in the bed. “I have had breakfast and lunch. Not time for dinner yet.”
“I am glad you are eating well.”
Toni smiled. “You should take good care of yourself some more.”
There was silence at the other end of the line.
“How is James?” Toni asked with an eyebrow raised.
Nora smiled faintly. “He is fine. I saw him this morning before he left.”
“That’s great. So…when are you coming home?”
“I…err…erm…I am waiting for James to return for the night shift. I usually get five minutes with him before he starts work. He doesn’t come so early.”
“Man…your life is messed up.”
Nora smiled. “I know.”
“I don’t know why you can’t man up and allow a discussion happen between you and this dude. You like him.”
Nora looked around. “I don’t know what he feels for me. He is too lazy with words. It hurts.”
“Yeah…I guess.” Toni replied.
Nora adjusted her jacket. “My tea break is over. I have to return to my station. I’ll call you when I am about leaving the office.”
“Okay.”
Nora hung up and leaned against the door.
*
Toni strolled out into the streets for her evening walk. She stopped by a side bench and allowed her thoughts to travel. It was a lonely journey for her. No one ever really understood how she felt inside. They thought she was as happy as she did portray. She was really afraid…there was a lot beneath the beautiful.
The clouds soon started to change. She looked up to the heavens and it was all coming down. She was far from home so she hurried to the nearby pub. She pulled off her jacket and allowed the water trickle from it as she closed the door of the pub. She walked over to the barman and took a seat. “Water.”
Tunji stared at her. “Water?”
She nodded. “Yeah…you have water here, don’t you?”
He nodded and turned away to get her some water.
“D--n it!” Jerry said as he took his seat beside Toni. “Tunji, pour me a whisky.”
Tunji turned at him with a smile. “You are here…again?”
“Of course.” Jerry replied.
Tunji dropped the water before Toni. “Here you go…ma’am.”
Jerry stared at her and cooed. “Why the deceit? You want a beer…you know you want it.”
Toni smiled faintly and focused on drinking her water.
“You shouldn’t ignore a gentleman at the bar, you know.” Jerry said.
She smiled as she drank on.
“Let the lady be…Jerry.” Tunji said as he set Jerry’s drink before him.
Jerry shot at Tunji coldly and then stared at Toni with a smile. “Want to go home with me? I…I have never really done this, but I don’t think I will have to pay too much. Would I?”
“Jerry…right?” Toni asked as she flipped her head in an instant.
Jerry nodded with a smile. “That’s the name, baby.”
Tunji started to chuckle.
“Get a life!” Toni replied with a smile. “While you are at it, you might want to drink more water.” She said as she passed her bottle to him.
Jerry smiled. “My name is Jerry.”
“Poor way to start a conversation.” She replied. “You came off wrong.”
“I am always wrong…I don’t know how to be right.” He replied.
She smiled as she folded her arms. “That’s an interesting deduction about yourself.”
“Man know thyself and be true to who you are.” Jerry replied with a grin. “Who said that?”
Toni shrugged. “You tell me.”
“My name is Jerry.”
“You have said that earlier.” She replied as she picked up her jacket.
Jerry smiled. “Don’t I get a name?”
“Not with a bad start. Some other day.” Toni replied as she slid some money on the table.
Jerry watched her as she approached the door. “Tomorrow never comes!” he shouted.
Toni turned back with a smile. “I’ll take my chances.”
“See you around.” Jerry said as he returned to the table.
Tunji stared at him curiously. “Who was that guy?”
“What guy? Are you so blind that you didn’t notice her gender?”
Tunji shrugged. “Never seen you act like that in all your entirety.”
“Never seen me do that too.” He replied as he took his seat.
Tunji smiled. “Good sign. What happened at work today?”
“Oh…nothing!” Jerry replied in an instant. “More.” He ordered as he dropped the glass
on the table.
***
“Hi, James.” Nora said as she clutched her handbag to her arm.
James stared at her with a smile. “Nora. Your shift was over thirty minutes ago… Why are you still here?”
She shrugged. “I like to take a few minutes to relax before I head out.”
“Interesting how those few minutes always coincide with my arrival here.”
Nora smiled. “You flatter yourself, James.”
“What can a man do?” he replied with a smile as he took a seat.
Nora took a few steps forward to leave. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“You…you want to go out with me sometime? Tomorrow night?” James asked as he turned in her direction. “It is my off day…was thinking you might want to hang out. You know…make this stalking a little more official.”
Nora smiled. “Stalking?”
“I am making a conversation.”
She shrugged. “Tomorrow night is fine.” She replied and turned away from him. Tomorrow night was not fine…but how could she say ‘No’ when she might never get another chance.
Nora battled with herself on why she was too quick to give an answer. She should have thought it over and well too…she drove home with lots of worries and thoughts in her head and mind.
Toni jumped out on her sister’s arrival. “Hey!”
“You should be in your room, you know?”
Toni rolled her eyes. “Why so serious? What’s up?”
“James asked me out.”
Toni smiled widely. “Wow! That’s so cool. You should be excited.”
“It’s tomorrow night.” She replied.
Toni rubbed her forehead. “Oh…that’s…that’s cool.”
“You? Home alone?”
“Are you home with me in the day?” Toni retorted as she grabbed the bag in the car. “You got me something?”
“Of course. The usual.”
Toni smiled. “I am thinking of the Amber style.”
“Amber?” Nora asked.
“She rocks it well…you know?”
Nora smiled as her sister walked into the house with a smile and with no worries as usual…she wondered how everything went wrong for them. It wasn’t meant to be this way…it never was. They all used to be happy.
***
“I gave a Code Blue! I needed all hands on deck! Where-were-you???”
Jerry stuttered as he stared in Emeka’s direction. “Sir…Sir, I was unavoidably absent.”
“Could it be because of your regular habits?”
Jerry shook his head in disagreement.
“You will have an alcohol test now, God help you if you fail it. I will ensure that your license to practise is taken away from you for as long as possible.” The Director shouted as he walked away angrily.
Jerry turned in Emeka’s direction. “What happened?”
“You have lost your second patient in a day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment